If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (803) 749-0178

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The Dangers of Phone Chargers

8/21/2020 (Permalink)

A bedroom is covered in soot and burnt after a fire A phone charger sparked this fire in a bedroom.

The majority of us sleep with our cell phone within arm’s reach, on our nightstand or tucked under our pillow. It’s become common to charge them overnight when they won’t be in use. SERVPRO of The Dutch Fork has responded to a number of house fires caused by the device we use every day. While it’s not usually the device itself but the charger that starts the fires.

Exposed wires, poor quality manufacturing and the location of the charger are all likely sources of the flames. Chargers produces a large amount of energy, which is why the cord is surrounded by a protective material. Once that protective layer becomes compromised, the entire cord is subject to malfunction. We’ve seen children’s mattresses completely charred; entire houses crumbled to the ground amongst many devastating home fire situations.

  • Ensure that you purchase devices and chargers that have been quality tested in a laboratory setting.
  • Use only the battery and charging cord that is designed for your device.
  • A cheap price point usually means cheap manufacturing – do your research before looking for the best deal.
  • Never charge your phone under a pillow, on your bed or in direct sunlight.

Your home is one of the biggest investments you’ll make, don’t let a charger cord be what takes that away from you!

Other News

View Recent Posts