Candle Burning Safety
Who doesn’t love candles? They’re an easy way to make a space smell better, cozy up your living room or allow you to relax when soaking in the tub. There are so many scents, colors and even some that crackle like real wood while they burn.
With a flame so small it’s not hard to neglect the fact that they are a hazard in enclosed spaces. According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 8,700 residential fires are caused by candles each year. Close to one-third of them begin in bedrooms where people have fallen asleep.
While some of these fire stem from the neglect of an open flame, they also begin with poor placement and accidental bumping/knocking over. The National Fire Protection Association provides a wealth of knowledge in fire prevention and best safety practices.
- Candles should never be used as a night light, the risk of falling asleep with an open flame more likely when tired.
- Keep candles in an open area – at least 1 foot from anything flammable (fabric, aerosol, electrical outlets).
- Keep hair, clothing, and blankets away from flames.
- Never touch or move a lit candle.
- If oxygen is being used in the home an open flame of any sort should not be used.
- Before burning, always trim the wick to ¼ inch. Long or crooked wicks can cause sparks, drips and flares.
- Avoid burning candles all the way down, especially if they are not contained in a glass jar.
Fires are devastating, your home and all of its contents could be consumed in a matter of minutes. Take a few extra minutes to ensure you’re taking all necessary safety precautions before you ignite your favorite scent!